The contest is now closed but you can still complete the missions for fun.
The missions will run for eight consecutive days: December 8 through December 15, 2014.
Scavenger Hunt Missions Schedule
- December 7 – Intro to be posted on this page
- December 8 – Mission Imminent Danger
- December 9 – Mission Countermeasure
- December 10 – Mission Off the Edge
- December 11 – Mission Operation Sheba
- December 12 – Mission The Evasion
- December 13 – Mission Tin God
- December 14 – Mission Miami, Mistletoe and Murder
- December 15 – Mission First Temptation
- December 16 – Winner announcement/Release day
How to Play:
- (Optional) Print the tracking sheet in PDF format so you can track each mission’s code word(s)
- Your assignment is to complete each mission and associated tasks in the order they appear to uncover one or two code word(s) per day. Read each set of instructions carefully.
- Attention to detail is critical. Although the missions may look difficult, you can expect to complete each mission within ten minutes.
- You will need the uncovered code word(s) to access the next day’s mission
- NOTE: you can only access missions on and after the day they are scheduled to go live as per the list above.
- You can start the hunt at any point in the game, but if you are joining the hunt after it has already started, you will need to start the hunt from the very first mission and complete them in sequence to catch up.
- On the last day of the hunt, the last mission will give you access to the online form you will use to submit the code words you collected from all eight Missions (start with the code found on Mission Imminent Danger, NOT the starter clue).
- Entries will be accepted until 2:00PM on December 16th, 2014.
Directions for Unlocking a Mission and Completing the Hunt
- Follow each set of directions carefully (any deviation from the instructions can be fatal will lead to the wrong page).
- Once you complete the tasks and find the code word(s) for the mission, write it down.
- Return to the website the next day (anytime after 00:00am of the following day) and append the code word(s) you collected to the end of the website’s URL on your browser's URL field as follows:
One-word code: /codeword
Resulting URL: http://eightnightswithahero.eirepublishing.com/hostage
Two-word codes: /firstcode-secondcode
Resulting URL: http://eightnightswithahero.eirepublishing.com/hostage-gun
PLEASE NOTE: The URL needs to be entered in the browser's URL field. Searching for it on google won't return any hits because the mission pages are hidden from google.
- Once you have done that, hit enter and the next Mission Brief will be loaded.
- Repeat the process for each mission.
- The last mission’s code will lead you to a form where you will enter all the codes words you collected from all eight missions.
- All fields corresponding to the missions’ code word(s) are required to submit the form.
Eligibility and Winner Selection
- Only entries with all the correct codes will be eligible for the drawing.
- The winner will be selected via a Random.org draw.
- A key showing the correct code words by mission will be posted once the drawing has closed.
- The winner will be drawn on December 16, 2014, at 12PM EST.
- Winner will receive a Kindle Paperwhite and 6 signed paperbacks (books included in the bundle and available in paperback format) as specified in the Terms & Conditions page.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO PLAY: You can enter the contest without purchasing any of the books. Please read all Terms & Conditions before playing.
SCAVENGER HUNT INTRO CLUE
You'll need to complete two tasks in order to collect the correct code combination to move on to the first round of the scavenger hunt.
Please follow the instructions below:
- Answer the following question:
- How many books are included in this boxed set?
- The answer (in word format) is your first code.
- Look around this site for the answer to the next task.
- Fill in the blank: Cold Nights, Hot _______ and Eight Deadly Secrets.
- This will be your second code.
The codes should be used as specified in the How To Play section.